Construction Project Engineer
BE&K Building Group is looking for a commercial construction Project Engineer with 2 to 3 years of experience.
The Project Engineer is responsible for such duties as shop drawings and submittals, document control, quantity surveys, Request for Information (RFIs), and material and equipment tracking and expediting. This position assists and supports project management in duties such as change orders, scheduling, trade scoping and procurement, quality control, and cost accounting. This position also is involved in field activities, working closely with the Superintendent with design and constructability coordination and details, and is generally active in punch lists, warranties, and closeout documentation. The Project Engineer also works closely with Subcontractors and the designer regarding constructability details, coordination, and changes.
PRINCIPLE AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
In general, the primary areas of responsibility are:
1. Document management and design coordination
2. Submittals and shop drawings
3. Material and equipment expediting and monitor
4. Change management
5. Quantity surveys, bid packages scope of works, and procurement assistance
6. Schedule updates and assistance
7. Project quality control and quality assurance
GENERAL LISTING of JOB DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
The following is a general listing of job related duties. This list is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or skills required for this position. These may be modified, added to, or eliminated for the specific requirements of the assigned project.
1. Review design information and develop scopes of work to be purchased for all assigned items. Assist in evaluation and award of contracts.
2. Monitor field construction to assure compliance with contract documents. Work with subcontractors, Superintendent, and the design team to ensure coordination of construction details. Ensure compliance with quality requirements.
3. Maintain all project documents including contract drawings, specifications, shop drawings, RFI’s, and distribute to needed parties such as field staff and subcontractors.
4. Establish and expedite the submittal process. Review, approve and coordinate all submittals between subcontractors and design team. Ensure full compliance of contractual requirements of submittals, and document such.
5. Change Order management. Evaluate changes and initiate development of contract documents. Establish and maintain all change management documentation, including drawings, Owner or design team directives, or any other notice. Compile and record all pricing, and assist project management as directed. Perform quantity surveys as needed.
6. Material and equipment expediting. Maintain all logs to track and ensure timely deliveries of materials and equipment.
7. Assemble close out manuals to include warranties, product samples, color schedules, shop drawings, vendor and sub lists, and replacement parts.
8. Maintain all documentation required for assigned role, including correspondence, emails, meeting minutes, and reports.
9. Work with project management and subcontractors to prepare a detailed project schedule. Monitor schedule and update with project management. Prepare look-ahead schedules.
10. Participate in weekly subcontractor meetings as directed by project management.
11. Maintain equipment rental log and monitor against equipment requirements log and equipment budget. Review and monitor small tool and expendables costs to budget.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
BS/BA degree in engineering, architecture, or construction management preferred but not mandatory.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
1. Competent with personal computer based scheduling software, WORD, EXCEL, and spreadsheet applications, and any other specified computer software or program skills that will be required for the position.
2. Experience in Viewpoint Construction Software is preferred.